Police Department FAQs

Q: How does the police department deal with abandoned vehicles?

The police department is authorized to provide for the removal of any abandoned vehicle left unattended on any street for 72 hours or more. Any vehicle that is illegally parked, and causes a traffic hazard or obstruction to the normal movement of traffic, may be removed at the owner’s expense. Removal of abandoned vehicles on private property is typically the responsibility of the property owner. Owners of illegally parked or unattended vehicles are liable for payment of citation, towing, and/or impoundment fees. Junk (unlicensed or inoperable) vehicles may not be left on public or private property. For more information concerning junk vehicles contact the Butler Township Zoning Department at (937) 898-6735.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a crash report?

There are three ways to get a copy of a crash report:

  • Download and print a copy free of charge from the Crash Reports section of the website.
  • Pick up a copy in person from the records section, open 7am to 3pm, Monday through Friday, excluding government holidays.
  • Request a copy by mail by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the records section (3510 Sudachi Drive, Dayton, OH 45414). Please be sure to include the report number and a telephone number where we can reach you should we have any questions.


Crash reports are normally uploaded to the website and available for release from the Records Section within 72 hours (3 days) from the date of the report, however if the case is under investigation it may take additional time. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please call the records section at (937) 890-2671.

Q: What will happen in the case of an animal bite?

The most common animal bite is a dog bite. Please contact the police department as soon as possible after being bitten. The officer will take a report and quarantine the dog if it can be located. A copy of the report will be sent to the Montgomery County Combined Health District, which handles all follow-up enforcement and quarantine releases.

Q: How do I contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles?

The locations of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles near Butler Township are:

  • Clayton: 8389 North Main Street (937) 454-5222
  • Huber Heights: 6134 Chambersburg Road (937) 233-7211
  • Jefferson Township: 587 Infirmary Road Suite B, (937) 268-9499

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Columbus, Ohio can be contacted at (614) 752-7600.

Q: How do I contact the Auto Title Bureau?

Motor Vehicle Titles are handled by the Montgomery County Clerk of Courts. The locations of the title offices near Butler Township are:

  • Clayton: 8391 North Main Street (937) 225-4480 ext. 630
  • Huber Heights: 6108 Chambersburg Road (937) 225-4480 ext. 632

Q: Where are the various types of court proceedings held?

Traffic, criminal misdemeanor and civil court matters are handled in the Vandalia Municipal Court. The court is located at 245 James Bohanan Memorial Blvd. The mailing address is P.O. Box 429, Vandalia, Ohio 45377, and the telephone number is (937) 898-3996.

Felony criminal and civil court matters are handled in the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, located at 41 North Perry Street. The telephone number is (937) 496-7213. These cases are handled by the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office, located at 301 West Third Street, Dayton, Ohio. The telephone number is (937) 225-5757.

Juvenile traffic and criminal matters are handled in the Montgomery County Juvenile Court, located at 380 West Second Street, Dayton, Ohio. The telephone number is (937) 225-4130.

Domestic Relations Court is located at 301 West Third Street, Dayton, Ohio. The telephone number is (937) 225-4562.

Q: How does the police department deal with speeding and other traffic problems?

The police department is concerned about speeding cars and traffic crashes within the township.  We have developed a Traffic Enforcement Area program to assist in reducing the number of speeding cars and crashes.  If you have a concern about speeding cars in your area, please contact the police department at (937) 890-2671.  We will add your area to our Target Enforcement Area program.

Q: Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

Unfortunately the Butler Township Police Department does not have the necessary and expensive computer equipment that is now required by the state and the FBI to offer fingerprinting services to the public. You may obtain fingerprinting services from the Miami Valley Regional Crime Laboratory located at 361 West Third Street, Dayton, OH 45402. Their telephone number is (937) 225-4990.  Additionally, the Ohio Attorney General’s website has a searchable list of organizations that are authorized to conduct BCI and FBI fingerprinting: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/business/fingerprint/data/index.asp. There is a cost associated with the checks and we suggest you contact the organization and ask any questions you may have.